- Google Nexus 5 running stock Android 4.4 KitKat
- Fastboot drivers (can be installed as a part of the Android SDK)
- CF-Auto-Root for Nexus 5
- Download the CF-Auto-Root package and extract its contents to your computer.
- Boot your Nexus 5 into fastboot mode by powering it off, and then pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together.
- Connect your Nexus 5 to your computer via USB and install any drivers if required, as instructed in our Android SDK post linked above.
- Run the CF-Auto-Root script as follows, based on your operating system:
- Windows: Simply double-click the root-windows.bat file from the extracted CF-Auto-Root files.
- Linux: Open Terminal, navigate to the directory where you extracted the CF-Auto-Root package, and enter the following commands one by one:
chmod +x root-linux.sh ./root-linux.sh
- Mac: Open Terminal, navigate to the directory where you extracted the CF-Auto-Root package, and enter the following commands one by one:
chmod +x root-mac.sh ./root-mac.sh
- Follow any on-device instructions for unlocking the bootloader if prompted, and then let the script do its magic.
That’s all – enjoy root access on your brand new Nexus 5!